Saturday, May 18, 2013

Garðar BA 64 ship wreck




The ship was built in 1912 in Norway and served as a whaling ship before it got to Iceland and was used for fishing from 1945. At first, it was a steam engine ship with masts for sails, but it was refurbished and served as a fishing ship for herring with a diesel engine.

Now it lies on the beach of Skápadalur, a valley off Patreksfjörður in the West Fjords, rusting away.

Ok, yeses I believe you. Hey, there's a nice hole to climb inside *goes*
Getting to the ship was the hardest part, the hole I climbed in had sharp edges, which resulted to some really nice bruises on my legs, but totally worth it. Fivefingers gave a nice sense of the floor - where to put your foot down to, and where not. Mainly the floor was in fairly good condition.

Door to inside, didn't use it
Ship's deck
First things I saw after entering
Got up
Saw a broken window of the mess hall


Walked to the table, I think that the paint jar is from the time when the ship was abandoned
On this point I got a little concerned of the floor,
re-checked all my steps at this point before putting any weight on my leg

The toilet was in good shape!

Mess hall was in pretty good condition
The stove in the galley
Rest of the galley
From this point (to the left of the galley), I didn't see wise to enter without proper lights with me, and of course, they were in the car


I tried to get some shots with the ambiance light, they aren't focused but that kinda makes some nice effects on them..




very narrow hallway next to the mess hall
And another next to it

Sticker in the mess hall
Clearly, someone is still taking care of the paint outside
pic by stnz
Great shot of the ship's bow by stnz

One place more I want to explore later on with better time :).

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures ! :) I have this one for you :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/daweidave/10128850156/

    ReplyDelete